Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Souter's New Digs


I have to say it: I'm disappointed to read in today's Times that former SCJ David Souter is ditching the ol' farmstead for what seems to be a McMansion in the next town.


Here I thought Souter was an old school New Englanda curmudgeon. Turns out he wants the ancient dream of all retired government employees: a Martha Stewart-approved paint scheme.

Reminds me of an old poem by a certain late Northeastern bard:


Stopping by the Road on my Way Home from Yoga

Whose house this is, I think I know
It should be in Chappaqua village though;
Where Martha and Hillary summer every year
'Cause, what else do you do with all that dough?

My Lexus stopped, it seems so queer
To pause without a Starbucks near;
By beauty bark and gardener's jeep
(Did they fire Jose this year?)

The Beamer behind gives his horn a beep,
(What is this guy, some finance creep?)
Middle finger aloft, the gas is pressed
And away he drives, his ire deep.

The driveway is long; the leafblowers gassed
A Range Rover with nanny and children just passed
But on to Balducci's -- the arugula won't last.
But on to Balducci's -- the arugula won't last.

5 comments:

  1. Love the poem -- and agree with you... Souter should be in a shack somewhere, not a McMansion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. did you write that yourself?? it's great. You're a near top-link on Google. I'm so impressed...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, Robert Frost wrote it...I just changed the words and tried to keep the rhyme scheme.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That means you wrote it -- the parody at least. I remain impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What must you think of our soon-to-be New England McMansion? We did not plan it as such, but since we can't dissuade the designer that we are NOT wealthy retirees, it's turning out that way.

    ReplyDelete