Thursday, August 19, 2010

Arrived in London


We arrived in London last night after a fairly painless flight...five and a half hours, and Beruria only flipped out for the last 1/2 hour so. Quite an improvement over our last long flight!

Saying that, I do have to note one thing: even though we really did keep to ourselves quite successfully for the entire flight (and for a family of four with two children under 10, I think we behaved ourselves quite well...even me, which is saying something), this woman behind us gave me a major stink eye when I took the kids to the bathroom. What's up with that?

Right. Staying with Stef, Ashley and Paige in their lovely flat in Kew, where they have graciously put all of us up in their living room (or, as I found out, "front" room -- although I do seem to recall hearing my grandmother call her living room a front room, but nevermind).

On a sad note, I've been in London for nearly 24 hours and have not had a single pint. Not one. Hopefully this will be remedied soon...there is a pub literally within 15 feet of the front door of the flat...(Update: Ashely just brought me a half pint of Leffe. Ahhhhhh. Many thanks!)

Spent the day with our friends from Seattle long ago, Nic and Simon. It was delightful...especially Toby taking marching lessons from Jonah (the oldest) whose military parading prowess was remarkable (see video).

Saw the changing of the guard (or at least parts), and on to Trafalgar Square for sandwiches and pigeons.

After seeing a Simpsons episode last week, Toby was determined to visit Westminster Abbey (it was the one where Homer becomes a helicopter parent and builds a crappy balsa wood model of the Abbey)...anyway, so we shlepped down to Westminster. For some reason, I was compelled to pay the 15 pounds to go in (just Toby and I), and that was perhaps a mistake, as I think that the inside creeped Toby out (with good reason: I had forgotten just how many dead bodies there are in that place).

I have to hand it to them, though: as we were walking through, I in my kippah and Toby in his Mets cap, we were stopped at one point by a young gent -- do they call them deacons? -- who was wearing a robe...obviously working there. He was about to ask Toby to take off his cap, and then stopped -- and noticing my yarmulke, said "Oh...is that for his religion?" or something of the sort, and when I politely said yes, he apologized, and said no problem. I have to acknowledge that kindness on his part. I've certainly been in situations where such politeness was not extended. Way to go, England!

Alright...a clip and a pic and more to come.


1 comment:

  1. Thank goodness Ashley was able to relieve you with that pint! We miss you already, and our front room's just not the same without you all!

    ReplyDelete