Sunday, August 22, 2010

Last days in London


Well, we had a lovely stay in London (thanks Stef, Ashley and Paige). I admit I was not thrilled to be leaving, mostly because I had a fairly good sense that the going would be a bit harder in points south. After all, no cozy flat in Kew to welcome us, no pub downstairs to slake my thirst....

Before that, though, I should mention one of the highlights of the trip, and that was our visit to the V&A museum. Strangely, although having been to London a number of times and living in England for the better part of a year, I'd never been. And I really have missed out! The building itself is fascinating; the exterior done in a grand monumental Edwardian style, and then, quite surprisingly, one enters the courtyard through some of the galleries to find a fantastic renaissance revival garden, complete with some of the most beautifully overdone columns (image left, although you can't quite make out the intricate friezes on the columns).

Inside the V&A, as is my late interest, I had a look at the Asian art, and found some very lovely examples of buddhas and bodhisattvas from China, Japan and South Asia.

Oh...I forgot to mention the most outstanding part of the building, the "refreshment rooms," which are in fact part of the much expanded cafe, and which were designed by William Morris in brilliant early Arts & Crafts style. I"ll have to post a pic or two if I can figure out how to get this blog template to post more than one image.

(This just in: Toby, who is having some trouble sleeping in our new digs, just drew a picture -- Stef, you guys will want to pay attention to this -- the caption reads: "Mom and dad OK: walking in the hous....Me sad --- I miss London." On the left panel under the first caption is a pic of Kara and I, and on the right, Toby and Beruria laying in bed, with Toby up looking sad. I think he's a bit tired.)

Alright; more about our arrival tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. We miss you too Toby -- but know you'll have a great time in Israel!

    ReplyDelete